Photobucket

Saturday, January 26, 2008

Emmy Rossum: Rabbits and Randomness

Emmy Rossum is back to blogging about her experience filming Dragonball:

“Hey! I’m happy to report I’m finding little bits of time on set in between takes to write you. Today we woke up in Torreon, a pretty big city in Mexico, at about 4:30am. We drove an hour to set, just outside Dunas de Bilbao. Our location is, what I can only describe as, a sand dune desert. I’ve been riding the motorcycle in 4-foot sand drifts since sunrise to get the shot just right. The wonderful, kind and talented Chow Yun Fat is hanging on for dear life in back. We’ve been doing about 40mph, and over bumpy sand dunes that is enough to make anyone a little queasy. Chow is so kind, so calm and a bit of a prankster (which I love!) and he hasn’t complained once. The sand is pretty deep here, and we’ve had to dig the bike out a few times when it has stalled in the drifts, but the crew and stunt guys and girls are so helpful.

I was surprised to see a lot of rabbits out here. Yes, rabbits in the desert. Tall ones, 3-feet when they stand up on their hind legs. They tend to keep a distance, as I don’t think they have many Hollywood crews visiting them often. But it got me wondering what they might eat out here in this dry sandy desert, which prompted a Google search for “rabbits in Mexico desert”. (By the way, I should mention I am a big Googler (is that a word?). It’s so informative and — usually — trustworthy.) I found out that out here in the desert, the rabbits eat twigs, seeds and branches off the desert trees. However, I did feel a little sorry for them, as the desert trees don’t look very appetizing at all. I got a plate from catering of lettuce, greens, and chayote and left it out for them.

I suppose I should mention I had a pet rabbit for a week when I was 6. I was the lucky one (when my name was chosen out of the hat) in school to take the class pet rabbit home for a week. Mom was not too thrilled to have “Peter Rabbit” running around our apartment. Even I will admit Peter was pretty messy, but I really loved little Peter Rabbit, and I named him after the great children’s book written by Beatrix Potter. Did you read that book growing up? It was one of my favorites.

Back to set, I’m really enjoying getting to know Joon Park. I’m not allowed to spill any secrets, but our characters interact a lot in the film. If you don’t know a lot about Joon, in addition to being an actor, he has a massively successful band in Korea (he writes a lot of the music) and is also a great dancer. Not only is Joon very cute and extremely charming, he’s gracious and very down to Earth. We’ve been trading music, giving each other some of our favorite stuff – he happens to love classic rock. Because everyone’s taste in music is so personal, I’ve found music a very good way to get to know someone. (It’s something I started doing with Gerard Butler when we were shooting Phantom of the Opera in London. He loves Ennio Morricone. In fact, during the filming Gerry and I went to see the great composer in concert at Royal Albert Hall. It’s really something special if you ever get the chance to see him live.)

Anyway, we are almost ready to shoot again so I should go. Have a great day!

Much love from the sand dunes,

Emmy” [via Myspace]